Right here’s our recap of the previous week in the coronavirus pandemic from our monitoring, coverage evaluation, polling, and journalism.
As we head into the week of Thanksgiving, the U.S. noticed a rise of over 1.1 million instances and about 7,300 deaths.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s prime infectious illness skilled, talked to KHN Editor-in-Chief Elisabeth Rosenthal about whether or not it was secure to journey over the vacations, methods to survive the approaching winter months, whether or not People can belief the vaccine approval course of, and the way laborious it’s when folks insist that the coronavirus disaster is “pretend information.” A column is accessible at KHN.org and in The New York Times. Take heed to full audio of the interview right here.
Extra states are enacting measures to curtail the unfold of the coronavirus as instances surge throughout the nation. A Policy Watch post finds thirty-one states have imposed new restrictions because the starting of November.
In the meantime as hopes of profitable coronavirus vaccines rise, states have been submitting vaccine distribution plans to the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. An analysis of those plans reveal that states are in numerous phases of preparedness. Whereas some have been engaged on the problems for a number of months, others began far more just lately. The challenges for states embrace persuading those that the vaccines are secure, efficient and wanted, figuring out who will get immunized first, and lining up suppliers to ship the injections.
Initially of this week, KFF President and CEO Drew Altman analyzed election 2020 exit polls and wrote a couple of key coronavirus pandemic problem going through President-elect Biden. “Exit polls present that when President Trump accused Democrats of exaggerating the gravity of the COVID-19 pandemic his supporters believed him…It leaves the Biden administration with an enormous public re-education problem in purple America and amongst Trump supporters in each state,” he writes.
Listed below are the most recent coronavirus stats from KFF’s monitoring assets:
Global Cases and Deaths: Complete instances worldwide reached 56.9 million this week – with a rise of over four million new confirmed instances previously seven days. There have been over 66,000 new confirmed deaths worldwide, bringing the full for confirmed deaths previous 1.three million.
U.S. Cases and Deaths: Complete confirmed instances within the U.S. handed 11.7 million this week. There was an enhance of over 1.1 million confirmed instances between November 12 and November 19. Roughly 9,300 confirmed deaths previously week introduced the full in the US to 252,500.
State Social Distancing Actions (contains Washington D.C.) that went into impact this week:
Extensions: AK, CO, GA, HI, MO, WY
New Restrictions: AR, CA, IN, IA, KY, MI, MT, NH, NJ, NM, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, WA
New Face Masking Requirement: MT, NH, OK
Enhanced Face Masking Requirement: HI, MS
The most recent KFF COVID-19 assets:
- States Are Getting Able to Distribute COVID-19 Vaccines. What Do Their Plans Inform Us So Far? (News Release, Issue Brief)
- Vaccine Protection, Pricing, and Reimbursement within the U.S. (Issue Brief)
- The Exit Polls Present The Want To Confront COVID-19 Denial in Pink America (Perspective)
- With COVID-19 Instances Surging Once more, States Are Taking Motion, Although Present Efforts Might Not Be Sufficient to Cease the Unfold (Policy Watch)
- Dec. three Internet Briefing: What Occurs As soon as There’s a COVID-19 Vaccine? Key Challenges to Vaccinating America (Event)
- Up to date: Value-Sharing Waivers and Premium Aid by Non-public Plans in Response to COVID-19 (Issue Brief)
- Up to date: At-Residence SARS-CoV-2 Testing: What Are the Choices? (Interactive)
- Up to date: A Take a look at On-line Platforms for Contraceptive and STI Providers in the course of the COVID-19 Pandemic (Issue Brief)
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Tracker – Up to date as of November 19 (Interactive)
- State Knowledge and Coverage Actions to Handle Coronavirus (Interactive)
- New Outcomes Present 95% Efficacy For Pfizer-BioNTech Coronavirus Vaccine, No Critical Facet Results; Growing Nations To Argue For Patent Suspensions Of Vaccines At WTO Assembly (KFF Daily Global Health Policy Report)
The most recent KHN COVID-19 tales:
- Authorities-Funded Scientists Laid the Groundwork for Billion-Greenback Vaccines (KFF, Scientific American)
- Lengthy-Time period Care Staff, Grieving and Below Siege, Brace for COVID’s Subsequent Spherical (KHN, CNN)
- Anger After North Dakota Governor Asks COVID-Constructive Well being Workers to Keep on Job (KHN, The Guardian)
- Public Well being Applications See Surge in College students Amid Pandemic (KHN, AP)
- Homeless Shelters Grapple With COVID Security as Chilly Creeps In (KHN)
- Fb Stay: Serving to COVID’s Secondary Victims: Grieving Households and Pals (KHN)
- Misplaced on the Frontline: New This Week (KHN, The Guardian)
- As Broad Shutdowns Return, Weary Californians Ask ‘Is This the Greatest We Can Do?’ (KHN)
- Take It From an Professional: Fauci’s Hierarchy of Security Throughout COVID (KHN, New York Times)
- KHN’s ‘What the Well being?’: What Would Dr. Fauci Do? (KHN)
- Trump’s Lame-Duck Standing Leaves Governors to Wing It on COVID (KHN, Lee Enterprises)
- Worry of Flying Is a COVID-Period Conundrum (KHN, US News)
- Individuals Proving to Be Weakest Hyperlink for Apps Monitoring COVID Publicity (KHN)
- These Entrance-Line Staff Might Have Retired. They Risked Their Lives As a substitute. (KHN, The Guardian)
- States’ Face-Masking Mandates Depart Gaps in Safety (KHN, Los Angeles Times)
- Surging LA (CHL)